Sunday, March 1, 2015

Linda's Luncheonette in the Montgomery County Sentinel!

Published on: Thursday, February 21, 2013
By Donna Broadway
Linda Kushner’s home speaks volumes of her past profession. The front door is painted fuchsia, the walls are pastel colors – yellow, green, orange, purple and pink – and the walls are carved to become shelves. Kushner has been an interior designer for more than 30 years. This April, the only things she will be designing are food platters at Linda’s Luncheonette. 
Kushner is transitioning from a successful career as an interior designer to become the owner and chef of a food truck called Linda’s Luncheonette. The menu will focus on gourmet comfort foods such as meatloaf, mashed potatoes, five-cheese macaroni and cheese, soups and chocolate chunk brownies. 
Linda’s Luncheonette will also offer catering for weddings, showers, barbeques, parties and meetings. 
“I’ve been an interior designer for 30 years and that’s all I knew I wanted to do since I was eight and I have done exactly what I said I was going to do. But I started to realize there might be something else that I want to do and if I was going to do it, I need to do it now,” Kushner said. “I have always cooked, and that is a true love and a true passion, as is interior design, and the idea of using my other talents is great.”
Several years ago, Kushner proposed the idea of opening up a food truck to her husband Jeff but after discussion, the Kushners decided it wasn’t the right time. 
“I didn’t know anything about food trucks when we first talked about it but now seemed like the right time,” Jeff said. “It seemed to happen a little easier this time. If I didn’t think it was a good idea, I would tell her, but I think it’s a worthy bet.”
With her family’s support, Kushner decided to pursue her dream. Kushner purchased an old FedEx truck and began speaking to other food truck owners about their experiences. Kushner also raised more than $20,000 via a Kickstarter campaign launched this January.  
“It’s been very rewarding. Every day for the last six months, I have felt like I have had a productive day. I go to bed tired every night. It has been a lot of confidence building and I enjoy working hard,” Kushner said.  

Linda’s Luncheonette is expected to open in April.   

No comments:

Post a Comment